Strange Computer Facts
Originally posted on WIBC.com on 07/27/2009:
1. 80% of all pictures on the internet are of naked women.
2. Another name for a Microsoft Windows tutorial is ‘Crash Course’!
3. Bill Gates’ house was designed using a Macintosh computer.
4. By the year 2012 there will be approximately 17 billion devices connected to the Internet.
5. Domain names are being registered at a rate of more than one million names every month.
6. E-mail has been around longer than the World Wide Web.
7. For every ‘normal’ webpage, there are five porn pages.
8. In the 1980s, an IBM computer wasn’t considered 100 percent compatible unless it could run Microsoft Flight Simulator*.
9. MySpace reports over 110 million registered users. Were it a country, it would be the tenth largest, just behind Mexico.
10. One of every 8 married couples in the US last year met online.
11. The average 21 year old has spent 5,000 hours playing video games, has exchanged 250,000 e-mails, instant and text messages and has spent 10,000 hours on the mobile phone.
12. The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute, less than half the normal rate of 20.
13. The first banner advertising was used in 1994.
14. The first computer mouse was invented by Doug Engelbart in around 1964 and was made of wood.
15. The first domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com.
16. The world’s first computer, called the Z1, was invented by Konrad Zuse in 1936. His next invention, the Z2 was finished in 1939 and was the first fully functioning electro-mechanical computer.
17. There are approximately 1,319,872,109 people on the Internet.
19. While it took the radio 38 years and the television a short 13 years, it took the World Wide Web only 4 years to reach 50 million users.