What are the F1 through F12 keys?
Originally posted on WIBC.com on 05/28/2009:
Commonly known as “function keys”, F1 through F12 may have a variety of different uses or no use at all. Depending on the installed operating system and the software program currently open will change how each of these keys operate.
A program is capable of not only using each of the function keys, but also combining the function keys with the ALT and/or CTRL keys, for example, Microsoft Windows users can press ALT + F4 to close the program currently active.
Below is a short-listing of some of the common functions of the functions keys on computers running Microsoft Windows. As mentioned above not all programs support function keys and/or may perform different tasks then those mentioned below
• Almost always used as the help key, almost every program will open the help screen when this key is pressed.
• Windows Key + F1 would open the Microsoft Windows help and support center.
• In Windows commonly used to rename a highlighted icon or file.
• Alt + Ctrl + F2 opens a new document in Microsoft Word.
• Ctrl + F2 displays the print preview window in Microsoft Word.
• Often opens a search feature for many programs including Microsoft Windows.
• Shift + F3 will change the text in Microsoft Word from upper to lower case or a capital letter at the beginning of every word.
• Open find window.
• Repeat the last action performed (Word 2000+)
• Alt + F4 will close the program currently active in Microsoft Windows.
• Ctrl + F4 will close the open window within the current active window in Microsoft Windows.
• In all modern Internet browsers pressing F5 will refresh or reload the page or document window.
• Open the find, replace, and go to window in Microsoft Word.
• Starts a slideshow in PowerPoint.
• Move the cursor to the Address bar in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
• Ctrl + Shift + F6 opens to another open Microsoft Word document.
• Commonly used to spell check and grammar check a document in Microsoft programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, etc.
• Shift + F7 runs a Thesaurus check on the word highlighted.
• Turns on Caret browsing in Mozilla Firefox.
• Function key used to enter the Windows startup menu, commonly use to get into Windows Safe Mode.
• Opens the Measurements toolbar in Quark 5.0.
• In Microsoft Windows activates the menu bar of an open application.
• Shift + F10 is the same as right-clicking on a highlighted icon, file, or Internet link.
• Full-screen mode in all modern Internet browsers.
• Open the Save as window in Microsoft Word.
• Shift + F12 save the Microsoft Word document.
• Ctrl + Shift + F12 prints a document in Microsoft Word.